Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nuns, Jesus and mammograms

Only in Italy.

I went to get my yearly mammogram. I had to start getting them early as my mom is a cancer survivor.

My doctor here is French and speaking Italian and English fluently. She has quite a few expat patients. She gave me the name of the place to get my mammogram and I made the appointment. I thought the office would be very similar to hers. A typical doctor's office.

Instead I show up at this very pretty villa on the Aventine Hill. I pay for my screening and sit in a reception area. There's a MASSIVE picture of Jesus staring at me. Okaaaaay.

A nun (full habit) comes out to take my forms. She's very nice and speaks not a word of English. We managed to have a conversation. There are several other nuns working in the office as well.

Soon I go into the room for my x-rays. The technician is very efficient and speaks Italian slowly.

The doctor comes in for the sonogram. In rapid fire Italian he asks me a bunch of questions. Non capito. He repeats. I answer.

As I lie on the table I look to my left and there's another picture of Jesus.

I look at the picture and say (not out loud of course), "You're everywhere in this city. I don't think I ever saw you in L.A." Then I had to restraint myself from laughing because that's a beyond stupido thing to say.

Everything was okay with my x-rays. Phew. They put also put my photos on a DVD. That's a first.

On the way home, I cut through the huge blooming rose garden. There must be a ballet school or class near there. I saw a bunch of little girls in leotards and tights by the gate and in the garden.

A piece of music from the Nutcracker started playing. I walk through the garden listening to the music. Circo Massimo is in front of me with the Palatine Hill in the background. It was a surreal moment. It felt like a movie, not real life.

11 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I had to chuckle thinking of the image of you getting a mammogram with that picture on the wall. I love that rose garden near the Aventine and I was wishing I were there with you.

erin said...

haaaa haa! this entire post just made me laugh. SUPER random. I love it.

Italianissima said...

This post is a perfect example of why you should not give into others negativity and continue to write. Italia is a magical place. I am confident that you will tap into this magic (if you haven't already!) and that great things await you in the future. :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

CCL - The photo was a trip. It was as if Jesus was looking down at me. The garden looks lovely. All the rain helped.

erin - ha...it is random.

italianissima - Grazie. I'm going to try and get out more. A big part of writing is observing and this is a great place to do exactly that.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Gives all new meaning to "Jesus is watching!"

So glad everything is OK, and hey, if you get stuck on post ideas, there's always that DVD! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm not catholic or religious but I had a few scary moments in italian hospitals and the nuns that stayed with me sure came in handy!

Nice imagery with the rose garden, music, and ballet students!

Autumn

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Michelle - Ha. I think I'm going to pass on releasing that DVD.

Autumn - I was raised Methodist so I still find a trip to be in a place where are so many nuns.

Laura said...

I find doctor visits here in Italy always a little surreal. I had to go to the cardiologist recently (everything's ok!) and the doctor was also the mayor of the town near where I live. Now it's sort of weird when I pass him in the street. Ah... life in small town Italy! :-)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Laura - that's funny. Glad to hear everything's okay.

AntoBlueberry said...

That's a big problem in Rome as more than half the clinics and hospitals are funded and run by the Church. And more than half of the buildings and villas are owned by the Church as well. For example the new Medial Campus in Trigoria is owned by the Opus Dei and the price tag is 180 million €. They moved their puppets everywhere to get the money and the authorization to build it.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

antoblueberry - very interesting. There are Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, etc. hospitals in America but this is the first time I've seen nuns in a full habit. I wasn't being critical just making an observation.