Monday, April 13, 2009

Today is a holiday? Where is everyone?

Today is "Pasquetta" aka Little Easter.

It is a huge deal here. I just got back from a run in the park. There was no traffic on Lungotevere, the main street along the Tiber. Confused tourists walk around Trastevere and Campo de Fiori. In the latter the farmers and their stands are gone but several of the restaurants are opened.

I haven't seen the center of Rome this quiet since right before Midnight Mass on Christmas eve.

I'm have to do some research on this day but I know it involves getting outside/nature and a lot of food.

Now this is a holiday I can fully support.

Buona Pasquetta tutti.


*Note. I wrote the above this morning. Now it's 6:30 p.m. and I just returned from LUNCH. haha I went to a friend of a friends house somewhere close to Rome but in the country. It was supposed to rain but turned out to be a gorgeous day out. Another friend gave me some flowers from their garden. I love living here.

9 comments:

Diana Strinati Baur said...

Everyone is in a park having a picnic!! Buona pasquetta, cara!!

Texas Espresso said...

My Italian says you should have a picnic and eat boiled eggs. ;) sounds good to me. Heck, I don't even get Good Friday off - I'd love a Pasquetta!

glamah16 said...

Hope you had a good Easter and made progress on your work this weekend.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

diana - Grazie anche te!

texas espresso - I didn't eat the boiled eggs but enjoyed myself a great deal. ha.

glamah16 - thank you. I hope you did as well. It was a very productive weekend. One friend did say I was crazy to work on Easter Saturday but I had to finish.

Jen said...

Glad you finished, NYC! And it sounds like Pasquetta would be just my kind of holiday!

Eleonora Baldwin said...

That closing remark is so poetic! I'm so glad you love living here.

And to find out more about Pasquetta (besides having 10-hour lunch dates) visit my blog. I posted about the joys of Pasquetta today.
http://agliooliopeperoncino.blogspot.com/2009/04/pasquetta-or-power-of-pic-nic.html

Anonymous said...

Hello seestor. Glad you had a good time today. I was busy suffering my first full blown asthma attack in 10 years! Good times!!

yvonne said...

I think I'm going to have to start celebrating Pasquetta! It's got my name written all over it. ;->

This is the first year I can remember that so many businesses were closed for Good Friday. And by so many, I mean 'any'.... It was shocking, but I certainly understand the need for people to celebrate all the holidays and downtime they can during these challenging times.

Congrats on making such great strides at the keyboard!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

jen - I think this holiday needs to become popular world wide. ha.

lola - I look forward to reading your post. I never heard about this holiday until I moved here. It now moves in my top three holidays. :)

sis - oh no. Okay you need to take it easy. Let's talk later.

yvonne - Thanks. Regarding Good Friday, I heard that too. And Passover was on Wednesday so I wonder if many business thought the end of last week would not be the most productive. I agree with you about people being stressed and maybe the holidays were more poignant this year.