Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lo Shopping: Saponissimo. Hand made soaps from Italy's Amalfi Coast


I met "Charlie" a few years ago during one of my vacation trips to Rome. I went down to the Amalfi Coast for a few days. Pictures do the Coast no justice. I need to get back there.

At the time she was working at some chi-chi store. She decided to quit her job and do her own thing.

What a glorious thing it is. She comes from an art/cosmetics background and put those skills to good use.

These soaps are.the.bomb! Really. My favorites so far are the "Crema di Limone" and the "Rosmarino e Menta." (The latter is pictured above). She uses natural ingredients found on the coast. The smell is light and amazing.

Price wise of course they are more expensive than mass produced bar soap you buy in the supermarket. However, I think her prices are lower than L'Occitane.

Anyway, both Carol's Daughter and Jo Malone started out the same way. Check out her site. They would make great, unique gifts as well.

12 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

That soap looks so reminiscent of the sea itself. Naturally, they would cost more than commercially-produced soaps. They're unique.

Tracey said...

Mmmmm, the soap looks good enuff to take a bite! Her site is good, too - I don't mind paying more for stuff like that; look what all she puts into it; honey, olive oil, fresh goats milk - sheesh! Lucky you guys having the Amalfi Coast @ your fingertips!

Anonymous said...

I just purchased a bar of soap. Not so expensive considering where it's coming from. Maybe she'll give you a commission! :)

xoxo
gibber

ps, i'm still sick. i'm so over this cold.

nikinpos said...

aww! Thank you!

Kim B. said...

Well, I was thinking how wonderful the soap looked and loving your description of the fragrance as light . . . then I clicked through and realized that there's Charlie! Whom I've been looking for for a while! Didnt' realize she was 'back' and so glad to be able to read her again. A wonderful discovery. So exciting!

mr. nichols said...

I thought you might like this article: http://www.convergemag.com/artsandhumanities/Languages-in-2020.html

Liane Spicer said...

Oh noooo! They are beautiful! I dream of soaps like these! What have you done - now I'll have to get some!

Rosa said...

I second this! They are dreamy creamy and she goes to great lengths to get her ingredients. No mountain is too high to climb!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

ciao tutti - yes these soaps are fantastic. A nice way to bring a little of the Amalfi coast into your home.

Sigh. I wish I could go there right now.

dorinalouise said...

ohh i love photos of the sea . . and the soap is so enticing. all i have to do is knit up some organic cotton cloths for them to be wrapped in! can't wait to get some . . isn't etsy great?!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Thanks for finding MIA Charlie! LOL

Ms. ATL

glamah16 said...

Very beautiful work she does.