Friday, June 13, 2008

Flashback Friday - Tell Me Something Good - Rufus & Chaka Khan

Okay I'm still feeling the 70s even though I was "ahem" too young to remember a big part of that decade.

Last week's Flashback we did a little afternoon delight with Ron Burgundy, today Rufus & Chaka Khan are going to tell us something good.

This song has one of the sickest bass lines of all times. My Flashback of this song is laying in my bed when we still lived in NYC and hearing one of our neighbors play this song over and over again. It was summer and all the windows were open.

A friend of mine used to work at VH1 and a couple years ago she invited me to see Chaka live. The channel used to do these intimate concerts at one of the Sony studios in Manhattan. Chaka was amazing. I've always loved her voice and when I was a kid I thought her whole style/vibe was cool.

Here is a live clip. Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the title I heard the refrain in my head and I even did a little happy dance in my chair. My colleagues don't notice when I do these things anymore!

Tracie P. said...

i've always loved that song! nice start to a friday. potessi cantare cosi'!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember this song. I was, ahem, too young I guess. But I love Chaka. She's so young and skinny in this. And she has the best smile. So cute!
And Joanne, I thought you were kicking the computer instead of doing a happy dance.

Anonymous said...

tracey k/Ohio: well, I wasn't, ahem, too young (LOL!) like the rest of you youngsters to remember Rufus & Chaka Kahn. I always thought they were one of the tightest bands around & Chaka's vocals were off the chain! Good Friday flashback - thanks for the memory. Have a great weekend, all.

gibber said...

i was *ahem* too young, tho i always loved this song, but i guess the song of my era was "I feel for you"

chaka, chaka, chaka kahn

Jen said...

LOVE this song! And I had other windows open in NYC that summer hearing it blaring. We also got to see them perform it in Central Park, as I remember, at that concert series that used to be a Wollman Rink. My friends and I would go sit up on the hills in back of the rink and listen for free (along with thousands of others).

I Feel For You completely rocked, too.

Boy, she is just the best.

Michele Connors said...

I love that song!! My mom was a big Chaka fan so all it takes is "I Feel For You" to remind me of my childhood.

Hope all is well in Roma. I may be moving there very soon!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

joanna - It really is one of my favorite songs. Such a great dance song.

tracie b- come stai? I will email you.

milanese - chaka is no joke. what a voice.

tracey k. - You are right, they were a very tight band. Remember when there were bands and not just drum machines? ha

gibber - I like that song too.

jen - this song always reminds of NYC summers.

live from Tuscany - good luck with your move.