Monday, February 18, 2008

An apartment in Rome.

The moving consultant just left. I might have to get a smaller crate. We'll see if the consolidator has a size minimum. If not, my shipping costs might drop by 50%. That would be fantastic!!

Speaking of fantastic, I finally have an apartment in Rome. An Italian film executive here (he grew up in Rome) asked his mom if she knew of anyone renting an apartment. His mom's best friend will be my new landlord. The apartment is half the size of my current place (ouch) but the location is amazing. I will be a 10 minute walk from Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Farnese. Trastevere will be a short walk across the river.

More good news: one of my bosses wants to buy my car for her son who is away at school. Mere words cannot express how happy I am to sell my car. My car is great but after living in L.A for nine years I actually hate driving now. The minute I could take Driver's Ed in high school I did. I used to love the freedom a car represented, especially living out in the suburbs. However, driving here is not fun. The traffic is horrific and people have no idea how to freaking drive. I can't tell you how many near accidents I have had because some idiot was on their non-hands free cellphone.

My days of valet parking will be ovah soon. It cracks me up that there is valet parking at the Gelson's in Century City. Seriously, the mall has a huge parking lot, do people really need to valet the Jag at the darn supermarket?

As I budget out the security depost/first month rent I have to restrain myself from crying over the exchange rate. I keep reminding myself if I were to pay market rates here it would still be more than my Rome rent. Then again I have a job here...god knows what my finances are going to be after my production bonus money runs out. Maybe I should ask my parents to ship out my old flute from jr. high school so I could be a street musician. The only problem with that plan is I can't play a damn thing anymore.

I had a crazy productive weekend. I finished shredding and throwing out old files, director reels and scripts. I downsized from fourteen file boxes to three. This job creates a ton of paperwork. I still have a long to-do-list for my move but it feels more manageable with the movers, an apartment and a buyer for my car.

I know writers should write everyday but I felt so overwhelmed earlier with work , volunteer projects and the move. Now I am so excited about writing the script. It will be a good challenge. I haven't written a script in over five years but this idea is not a novel. Even if I can carve out only fifteen minutes in the morning, it will be great to get back into a groove.

17 comments:

Homebody at Heart said...

Wow, congratulations! It's all coming together now and it all seems meant to be. For me, waiting and biding your time is the hardest thing to do after making a decision. So, I'm glad stuff is starting to happen for you.

Jen said...

You're on your way! Congratulations! Great news, especially, on the apartment and the car.

BTW... did you see I left you something on my Sunday entry?

Texas Espresso said...

Congrats! it looks like things are falling into place =) Exciting!!

glamah16 said...

It's a hard when trying to do that type of move because we so bogged down by things. Good progress. I dread when or if my boyfriend and I move back to Sweden because we have so much stuff.

Moi said...

congratulations!! that is wonderful news. Where is the apartment?

Annika said...

Congratulations! See? When you're doing the right thing, things seem to just fall into place. Obviously moving to Rome is the right thing for you to do.

Anonymous said...

This is so all very exciting, lm soooo happy that you found yourself an apartment. It really is who you know. The way things are going you will have a job there in no time at all! Who knows your book just may end up as a best seller... now wouldn't that be great!

erin said...

what a relief that you're able to cross things off your list. I know how that feels. I agree with Annika...it seems like things will just continue to work themselves out!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

homebody - thank you!

jen - Thanks for the honor. I will do the meme soon.

texas espresso - grazie!

glamah16 - I know what you mean. The one good thing about a move like this is it forces you to throw out things you don't need/have no sentimental value.

moscerina - thank you. I don't know what that area is called. I'll email you.

annika - grazie. It's so weird how quickly things can change. Earlier in the month I was freaking about quitting my job, the low dollar, my age, pretty much everything. Now I can't wait for March.

confessions - regarding my book, that would be great!!

erin - It is a huge relief! Now I can focus on the other things on my list.

gibber said...

Congrats sis! By the by, I have your FLUTE. I'm more than happy to ship it to you in Italy :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - you do? hold on to it for now. I don't need to get arrested for disturbing the peace.

Tina said...

I'm looking forward to the aperitivo we will have in Rome later this year. :-)

I'm so excited for you just reading this! It looks like things are coming into place! :-)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

tina - I'm looking toward the aperitivo as well!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

oops that should be "forward to"

Liz Dwyer said...

Congrats on finding a place. Isn't it amazing the way the universe works and how all of the sudden things fall into place. How super exciting and I have to say I'm sooo jealous. You're going to be living in sexy, beautiful Rome! Wowzer!

Liane Spicer said...

Wow, this is exciting! Your home-to-be sounds lovely.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

thanks los angelista and wordtryst!