Tuesday, June 26, 2007

West Side Story-America



Given the intense immigration debate going on in Congress and around the nation, I thought this clip was appropiate. I saw it on J. Doe's blog a couple weeks ago. I love this movie. It swept the Oscars the year it came out in the early 60's (before I was born, so no I didn't see it in the theatre). I saw it for the first time on TV when I was very young. Then again in one of my English classes after we read "Romeo and Juliet". It's one of my favorite movies of all times.

I wanted to be a singer/dancer like Rita Moreno after I saw this movie. I used to dance and sing around our apartment all the time (I probably drove my parents crazy but they humored me). Once we moved to the suburbs I was able to join the choir, play in band but no dancing. I'm only 5'2, didn't have the legs for it. :(

The music and choreography was just incredible. This scene and the "Tonight" medley I could watch/listen to over and over again.

Random fact: Russ Tamblyn who was played the leader of the Jets is Amber's (Joan of Arcadia, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) dad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woaw!... very intresting...
mi chiamo Arantxa...
Come stai? sei italiana?

parliamo dopo

bacini

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Ciao Arantxa!

No, sono Americana รจ Caribe. Mi chiamo Arlene. Sono nata New York City.

Anonymous said...

I love the dancing, and the film. It's great stuff.