Saturday, December 02, 2006

I think I'm good for at least the next 12 months

It was great to see some friends last night. I even saw the agent who made the "intimidating" remark. Several females colleagues went on and on about my new hair style and said the nicest compliments. I got nothing from the men, but not surprised.

I did have a few agents/managers pitch me writers for some of our projects. Bumped into a few people I haven't seen in years who said "oh it so great to see you again." It was clear they didn't remember my name but seeing how the room was packed, but not diverse, my friend and I stood out.

These "parties" are so weird. A few people did start to dance as we left, but basically you spend a few hours networking. I wouldn't call it fun way to spend a Friday night.

There were some moments when my friends and I laughed out loud. After my only drink of the night (somewhat of a light weight these days), I made crass remake to my friend (joking) about the lack of sexual attractive to the frat boys. She started laughing and we didn't realize that a female agent overheard us. The agent looked around the room, shrugged, and said she didn't know how to help us. :)

When I was a jr. development exec I used to go to these parties all the time. Around three years ago, I cut way back. I have so much work to do, I can't be out on the town all the time. When I do go out, I want to really socialize and relax with my friends not go to a work event fronting as a party. During the car ride home my friend said it was good for my career that I went. Yes I totatlly understand and now I don't need to go to another one of these for a few months.

Off to the gym and then to write. I'm working on the last chapter of this re-write. I am going to clean up the draft the next two weeks then take a copy home with me to read during the break.

No comments: